Aug 2013 - Present | San Diego, CA
Providing independent software consulting services including systems architecture, strategic infrastructure advice and cloud-based engineering.
Jan 2012 - Aug 2013 (1 year 8 months) | San Francisco, CA
built products that connect people, including and . It was part startup, part incubator and part idea lab. The labs was backed by Match.com and IAC/InterActiveCorp. OkCupid Labs acquired Singlesnet.com on August 9th, 2012.
- Grew and managed team of 12 highly-skilled frontend, backend and operations engineers
- Contributed to product vision and feature planning
- Led architecture design and development efforts building a new, highly-scalable Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) platform for the online dating site Singlesnet.com (and Kiss.com)
- Led DevOps infrastructure design, implementation and cloud deployment on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Oversaw migration of 11M member accounts ensuring uninterrupted service for our customers
- Built and delivered features (new and iterative) at all levels of the app
- Developed app and service release procedures and conventions
- Championed continuous integration (CI) and deployment (CD) to staging environments and managed deployments to production
Mar 2010 - Jan 2012 (1 year 10 months) | Dallas, TX
Online dating giant
acquired our company (Singlesnet.com) in 2010 and continued to run it as a separate entity under the Match.com umbrella until mid-2014.
- Led and managed all development for Singlesnet.com
- Managed a distributed (virtual) team of 10+ engineers and designers
- Co-managed operations efforts
- Created automated revenue and customer engagement reports and metrics, detailing business health
- Developed framework for implementing and optimizing customer acquisition landing pages with A/B testing support
- Led site-wide user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) reboot
- Developed anti-fraud strategies and reporting
- Spearheaded security and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard Level 2 (PCI DSS) compliance efforts protecting sensitive customer data
Mar 2007 - Mar 2010 (3 years) | Boston, MA
built technology used by Singlesnet.com and other remote team members in a virtual work environment.
- Remote-managed a large deployment of Linux servers (300+) in our Massachusetts-based data center
- Developed server health monitoring systems, alert and problem escalation procedures
- Collaborated in the development of an in-house VoIP-based instant messaging platform (somewhat similar to today’s Google Hangouts); This tool was used by our entire company
- Deeply involved in development and operations; consulted on projects throughout the organization
Mar 2002 - Mar 2010 (8 years) | Boston, MA
was a popular online dating service and website. Singlesnet.com was sold to Match.com in March, 2010.
- Co-founded business and helped grow it to a thriving user-base of 27M+ members; 550K+ unique daily active users (DAU)
- Achieved most-visited online dating site in the US status in 2008 (Hitwise)
- Served as Chief Information Officer (CIO) from 2002-2010
- Developed a large number of the front and back-end systems powering the business
- Developed fast bulk email generation and delivery system; included feedback loop monitoring, bounce handling, click-through and conversion monitoring
- Developed REST-based API with access controls for member account creation
- Created subscription-based payment processing system supporting multiple payment methods and processing gateways (credit card, e-check / ACH and PayPal); Responsible for handling ~$40M annual revenue
- Instrumental in facilitating the acquisition of Singlesnet by Match.com in 2010
Feb 2002 - Feb 2005 (3 years) | Denver, CO
Digital ID World was the official digital identity industry conference, magazine, news and informational website. Digital ID World was sold to International Data Group (IDG) in February, 2008.
- Founding member
- Developed website, registration and supporting systems, including payment processing
- Organized and helped manage conference logistics
- Managed wireless access points, GNU/Linux servers, traffic shaping, firewalling for conference attendees and exhibitors
- Digital ID World operated as a joint venture in 2005 and was ultimately acquired by IDG in 2008
Feb 2002 - Aug 2003 (1 year 6 months) | Denver, CO
Provider of online identity management solutions
- Built and maintained key IT systems, including web servers, email and DNS